Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish was founded in 1927 by
Fr. Marcelino Ruiz from Mexico. Originally established as a parish to assist the Mexican-American families in the area, it now houses many nationalities. In 1931, Fr. Juan Arana became the first Augustinian pastor, and since then, the Augustinian Fathers from Spain have been in charge of the parish. The first church was located at the corner of Houston Avenue and 15th Street, when a framed building was acquired on the 200 block of 16th Street. In 1936, Fr. Arana built the steel and brick Church at 134 15th Street that served the faithful for 40 years.
In 1966, Fr. Porfirio Fernandez purchased the land at 61st Street and 9th Avenue. Ten years later, the present Church with a capacity of 600 was built. In October of 1976, the statue of Our Lady of Guadalupe was carried in procession on the shoulders of the parishioners to the new location. Within the next ten years, the Rectory, the Parish Hall and the CCD Center were also built.
The parish recently celebrated its 90th Anniversary, with Mass celebrated by Fr. Urbano Saenz and Bishop Curtis Guillory.
2015 - Present
Church & Shrine